Tuesday, August 9, 2011

An accident in the school library

 
   Silence weight heavily in the air-conditioned library. Mary walked briskly to the borrowing counter. She handed a reference book and a CD on the life cycle of dophins, together with her library card, to the librarian.
       The librarian scanned her card and the books. a fter her loan had been processed, Mary muttered a word of thanks, gathered the borrowed itemsin her arms and turned to leave. She congratulated herself- she had obtained research materials for her science project with ease.
       Mary was studying the pictures on the CD case when a boy with short stumpy legs rammed into her. "Ohhh!" Mary cried in dismay as she was sent reeling backwards.
       " Oops! Sorry! I-I was just..." the boy stammered nervously.As he bent forward to pick up Mary's book, there was a sickening crack. A shade of red crept from the boy's neck up his face. Mary drew a deep breath.
The CD!
       At Mary's sharp gasp, the librarian looked up from her book, " What happened?" Mary picked up the CD case which had been cracked and flashed it at the librarian.
        " I'm so sorry! I-" the boy was on the verge of tears.
        "I have spare cases! Don't be reckless in future! the librarian wagged a finger at the errant boy. Nodding dutifully, the boy hurried away.
           Mary only shook her head as she waited for the librarian to return with a new case.
          " What a reckless person!" she mused.

No comments:

Post a Comment